"Our Mission: We, the El Dorado Hills Fire Department, exist to serve and protect the Community through emergency management."

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Fire Protection Standards?

Please refer to the EDH Fire Protection Standards for more information.

How do I request an Incident Report?

Please refer to Incident Reports for the full details on this subject. 

What are the weed abatement stipulations?

For vacant lot weed abatement in El Dorado Hills, please refer to Vacant Lot Program. For weed abatement on occupied properties, please refer to the Defensible Space page.

Who do I call for a downed tree?

You should contact a licensed Tree Removal Service to assist with the removal of the tree on your property. If the tree is on a public road, please call the Department of Transportation at (530) 642-4909.

How can I complete community service?

Please refer to Community Service for the full details on this subject.

Where are the EDHFD stations?

Please refer to Fire Station Locations for the full details on this subject.

How can I get my blood pressure checked?

Please refer to Blood Pressure Check for the full details on this subject.

Is EDHFD currently hiring?

Please refer to Employment Opportunities for the full details on this subject.

How do I schedule a tour of the Fire Station?

Please contact the Administrative Office at (916) 933-6623 or by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to schedule a tour.

How do I submit plans for review?

Please refer to the Plans Submittal for the full details on this subject.

Who do I call if I smell gas/chemical odor?

Contact 9-1-1 and evacuate the building.

Are my fire sprinklers monitored?

Typically, a residential fire sprinkler system is not monitored by an alarm company. When the alarm goes off, it is simply to notify the owner that a sprinkler has activated or there is a malfunction with the system. In which case, please refer to the FAQ regarding residential fire sprinkler leaks. You can choose to have your residential fire sprinkler system monitored by contacting an approved Central Receiving Station Alarm Company. 

What do I do if my fire sprinkler is leaking?

If the fire sprinkler has a minor leak, you need to contact your licensed Fire Sprinkler Contractor for repair.  If your fire sprinkler has a major leak, like a broken head, you can contact us at (916) 933-6623 for immediate assistance as well as your licensed Fire Sprinkler Contractor.

Who do I call with a wild animal concern?

You should contact Animal Control at (530) 621-5795 for assistance. 

If you have a visual location on a rattlesnake on your property, please contact 9-1-1 and they will dispatch out accordingly to take care of the snake.

Where do I take hazardous waste?

Please refer to Hazardous Waste for the full details on this subject.

Does the Fire Station offer CPR classes?

Please refer to CPR Classes for the full details on this subject.

How do I schedule a car seat check?

Please refer to Buckle Up Baby for the full details on this subject.

How do I reserve a Conference Room?

Please refer to Conference Rooms for the full details on this subject.

When can I burn vegetation on my property?

Please refer to Burn Day Information for the full details on this subject.

What do I do if my smoke alarm is chirping?

If your smoke alarm is making a chirping sound, this most likely means that you need to change your battery or clean the smoke alarm as recommended by the manufacturer.  If your smoke alarm is sounding continuously, you should treat it like there is a fire and evacuate the house until it can be confirmed, in a safe manner, that there is no sign of danger.  If you are unable to confirm that there is no fire, contact 9-1-1 for assistance.

How do I go about getting a burn permit?

You can obtain a burn permit from any one of our four Fire Stations.  The process is very simple and will only take about 5 minutes.  Burn permits are good for three years, however burning is only permissive on designated burn days.  Please call the Burn Day Hotline at (866) 621-5897 prior to igniting your burn pile to ensure it is a designated burn day.

When should I dial 9-1-1?

9-1-1 should be used for reporting all emergencies.  Please note, while in El Dorado County, if you have an emergency and need to dial from a cellular phone, you should dial (530) 626-4911.  If you dial 9-1-1 from a cellular phone, you may be re-routed to a different county which may delay a response to the emergency. 

 Some examples of emergencies include:

  • When you see smoke or fire.
  • When someone’s life and/or property are in immediate danger.
  • When rescue or emergency medical assistance is needed.
  • When you have a visual location on a rattlesnake on your property.
  • When you are not sure, call & let trained personnel decide.